Wednesday, July 05, 2017

Vintage TV

If you've been channel surfing at night, trying to find something to watch, you may have come across a fantastic channel called Vintage TV. It's a difficult concept to explain, but basically, it's a music channel... that actually plays music videos. I know, right??

And they're all classics from the 80s and 90s, so they're all great. It's quite easy to get sucked in and end up watching it until 3am, for example, just plucking a time out of nowhere at random that totally wasn't me.

They have a feature called My Vintage, where famous types go on and talk about the music that shaped their early years. And excitingly for me, they asked me to do one as well - they'd seen me tweeting about it enthusiastically, looked me up, and must have decided I qualified enough as a talking head, so here we are. I think my tweet that won them over was "it's all great and not shit!" so hey, there's a lesson there for all of us.

It's going to be on Sunday 23rd July at 5pm, repeated Thursday 27th July at 10.30pm. Vintage TV is on Freeview channel 82, Sky 369, Virgin 343, Freesat 505, BT/TalkTalk 82. The trailer for my episode is right here, with a true story:


I had SO much fun doing it, and am incredibly excited to actually be on the channel alongside actual music experts and music legends. I didn't get to meet him, and can't say who it was yet, but there was a genuine musical legend in the seat before me that morning. I sat in his chair ass-groove, and I hope some musical talent rubbed off. On my bum. This is getting weird now.

I've done a few of these sort of talking head things, mostly for DVD documentaries - Doctor Who DVDs The War Games and The Romans, Arrow's releases of Zombie Flesh Eaters and The Beyond - and I really enjoy the chance to talk about things I love. This was a bit different, it was a lot longer, and gave me the chance to choose specific songs and videos that mean a lot to me for various reasons. So please do tune in, there's some amazing music in there.

Check out Vintage TV on their website here, and their Twitter feed here. I'm not sure if my episode will be online at some point, but if I find out I'll update this post.